Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission’s (CCPRC) Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island will remain open and follow normal hours of operation (9 a.m. – 7 p.m.) during the week of Aug. 6-12, when the Kiawah Island Golf Resort will host the 94thAnnual PGA Championship.
CCPRC has been informed by PGA of America officials that the championship will affect traffic approaching Kiawah Island, Seabrook Island and the beach park. Patrons who plan to visit Beachwalker Park the week of Aug. 6-12 should consider the following guidelines to maximize the experience:
– Avoid peak traffic on Main Road, Bohicket Road, River Road and Maybank Highway between 7-11 a.m. (heading toward Kiawah)
– Plan to arrive at Beachwalker Park after 12 p.m.
The beach park will not serve as an access point for the PGA Championship.
Also taking place during the week of the championship will be the PGA of America’s Golf Get Ready Family Fun Zone Tour, a golf-awareness activity zone that will visit three of CCPRC’s other parks. The PGA recently announced plans to bring this tour to Wannamaker, Palmetto Islands and James Island County Parks, where professionals and other PGA staff will provide family-friendly activities and golf instruction, as well as ticket giveaways. The Fun Zone Tour, which is free of charge with regular park admission, will be at the following parks on these dates and times:
· Wed., Aug. 8 at North Charleston Wannamaker County Park, Tupelo Shelter, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
· Thurs., Aug. 9 at the meadow at Mount Pleasant Palmetto Islands County Park, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
· Fri., Aug. 10 at the James Island County Park Picnic Center, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
For more information on Beachwalker Park or for the park’s daily hours of operation, call (843) 795-4386, (843) 768-2395 or visit www.ccprc.com/beachwalker. For more information on the PGA’s Get Golf Ready Family Fun Zone, see their Play Golf America Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/PlayGolfAmerica.