By Marilyn Markel for The Island Connection
With summer here in the Carolinas we are lucky enough to have local shrimp. As you walk along the beach the shrimp boats become more abundant. This year is starting out to be a very good shrimp year.
I got some beauties at Magwood Seafood at the Mount Pleasant Farmers Market. It’s also getting warm outside so a cold salad is a perfect meal.
Shrimp Salad with Deviled Eggs
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp seafood seasoning
2 tsp white wine or tequilla lime vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp Dijon mustard, divided use
Pinch of cayenne
Dried onion seasoning (we have some at
our store called onion obsession)
2 to 3 Tbsp canola or grapeseed oil
4 persian cucumbers or 1 larger cucumber
Sriacha, to taste
A handful of mixed baby greens
1. Fill a medium pot ½ full with water, bring to a boil. Add seafood seasoning and shrimp. Boil until shrimp is cooked through about 3 minutes. Remove from pot immediately and spread shrimp on a sheet pan to cool.
2. If you save the shells you can add to the pot with water and seasoning and gently boil for about an hour for a good shrimp stock and save for another use.
3. Combine vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, mustard, cayenne and onion seasoning. Whisk vigorously and add the oil slowly.
4. Slice the cucumbers in ½ and then slice into pieces. Add the cucumbers to the dressing with sriracha if desired and toss in cooled shrimp. Refrigerate until ready to serve atop baby greens with deviled eggs.
4 large eggs
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp freshly chipped chives
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt, to taste
dash of sriracha
1. In a small saucepan cover the eggs completely with water. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat and cover pot. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Remove eggs from water and cool completely in an ice bath.
3. Carefully peel eggs and rinse.
4. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Slice eggs in half and add the yolks to the bowl. Mash completely with a fork until mixture is smooth. Spoon yolk mixture into the egg whites. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Garnish with additional chopped chives and sriracha.Tweet