By Marilyn Markel for The Island Connection
If you have a large group coming over homemade pizza and chili will be sure to please all palettes and ages.
Serves 8 – 10
¼ cup rice bran oil
3 lb stew meat
1 large onion, minced
2 poblanos, minced
4 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo
1 28 oz box pureed tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
1 lager beer
1 cup sour cream
Zest and juice of one lime
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 bunch green onion, green part only cut on a diagonal
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Dry the beef pieces with paper towels. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until very hot. Brown the beef in batches until nicely browned. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the onion, poblanos and more oil, if necessary and sauté the onion and poblanos. When limp add the garlic and dried spices and toast for another minute. Add the chipotle peppers, tomatoes, stock, beef and beer. Cover and cook until the meat is very tender about 2 ½ hours.
3. Combine the sour cream with the juice of a lime to taste. Serve the chili piping hot with sour cream, cheese and green onion garnish.
PIZZA WITH GRAPES, GOAT CHEESE AND ROASTED PEPPERS
½ cup red, seedless grapes sliced in half
1 lb pizza dough warmed to room temperature
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups arugula
1 cup goat cheese mixed with fresh chopped herbs such as basil,
parsley and chives
2 jarred roasted red peppers
Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a pizza stone in the oven
Toss grapes with a little olive oil and roast for 10 minutes.
3. Press out pizza dough on parchment to desired thickness. Rub the outside edge of the dough with olive oil.
4. Scatter arugula, goat cheese, peppers and roasted grapes on the dough. Spread over the pizza up to ½ inch of the edge. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges and bottom are browned.Tweet