Staff Report for The Island Connection
Photos by Rivers Rudloff
The organizers of Cars on Kiawah, an annual car show on Kiawah Island, are pleased to announce that Ally Financial will once again be the presenting sponsor of the May 4 event. Ally operates one of the largest full service auto finance operations in the country serving 18,000 dealers and more than 4 million of their customers.
In addition, Hendrick Automotive Group has signed on as the event’s exclusive automotive dealership sponsor. Hendrick is the largest private automotive dealer in the United States with a network of 101 dealerships from the Carolinas to California.
In 2018, Cars on Kiawah attracted 250 great cars and more than 3,500 spectators. The event is held at Ocean Park, a beautiful expanse at the eastern end of Kiawah Island adjacent to the famed Ocean Course, home to the 2012 and 2021 PGA Championship.
Co-chairs of Cars on Kiawah, Bruce Stemerman and John Wilson noted, “Teaming up with two companies as successful, progressive and customer-focused as Ally and Hendrick is an incredibly exciting opportunity for Cars on Kiawah. With Ally’s continuing support and the addition of the Hendrick Automotive Group, Cars on Kiawah will continue to be one of the best automotive events in the Southeast. We are thrilled to have Ally and Hendrick on board as our key sponsors.”
Cars on Kiawah is an annual celebration of the automobile from the early 1900’s to modern supercars. The 2019 show will again feature 250 of the region’s most outstanding classic and collectible automobiles.
Highlights of the 2019 show will include:
– The Rolls Royce Owners Club of the Southeast will be featured as the 2019 Spotlight Club. We expect twenty-five spectacular Rolls Royces and Bentleys on display covering several decades of these remarkable cars.
– Our featured collector is Gordon King, a well-known local enthusiast and collector who will display several cars from his collection. Over a period of thirty-five years, Gordon has owned more than 160 classics. King’s current collection includes 25 cars and over 30 motorcycles. He has been a race car driver since the 1960’s and, over the last twenty years has participated in numerous vintage race car events.
– Automotive historian, Harvey Geiger, will serve as our Honorary Chairman. Geiger has published nearly 200 articles and is nationally recognized as an authority on automotive history and car culture. He was awarded the prestigious Lee Iacocca Award in 2013 in recognition of his contributions to American automotive heritage.
– Consistent with our interest in attracting families, the show will include a special display for children.
Among the many cars in this display will be a 1940 Firetruck, Bob Luczun’s amazing 1928 Ford Model A pickup truck with hundreds of hand painted cartoon characters on it, a “junker” that the children will be able to paint pictures on and many other cars with appeal to children and adults alike.
– Local television personality and host of “Lowcountry Live,” Tom Crawford will be our Master of Ceremonies.
“Given Ally’s deep automotive roots, we’re excited to be back at this beautiful showcase of cars and community,” said Jeffrey Brown, CEO of Ally Financial. “It’s especially gratifying to be working with the team at Hendrick Automotive Group to sponsor an event that celebrates car culture and is so important to the region.”
Hendrick Automotive Group’s vice president of marketing, Brian Williams, echoed Jeff’s comments, “We are excited to participate in the 2019 Cars on Kiawah show. The area is a terrific place to live and work, and we appreciate the many opportunities the community has provided our dealerships in Charleston and North Charleston. The event is a fantastic way for us to celebrate our passion for cars as well, which is an important part of our company’s culture.”
In October, Hendrick Automotive Group’s sister company, Hendrick Motorsports, announced that Ally Financial will be the primary sponsor of Jimmie Johnson’s iconic No. 48 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 team beginning in 2019.
The partnership will feature Ally on the seventime NASCAR Cup Series champion’s cars across the entire 38-race season, beginning with DAYTONA Speedweeks and the 61st running of the DAYTONA 500.
Cars on Kiawah is an annual celebration of the Southeast’s finest automobiles displayed in the lush setting of Ocean Park on Kiawah Island, South Carolina. Cars on Kiawah in 2019 will take place on Saturday, May 4 with a display of over 250 of the region’s best collector cars. Cars on Kiawah is hosted by the Kiawah Island Motoring Retreat, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. An annual donation from event proceeds is made to the Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic. Information on Cars on Kiawah, including sponsorship and registration details, is available at CarsOnKiawah.com.